Head of Government and Corporate Affairs (Southeast and South Asia)
If you need assistance during the recruiting process due to a disability, please reach out to our Recruiting Accommodations Team through the Accommodation Request form. This form is used only by individuals with disabilities who require assistance or adjustments in applying and interviewing for a job. This form is not for inquiring about a position or the status of an application.
A unique opportunity to join a major game-changer in the online ecommerce space with great consumer brands and technology, with ambitious growth plans for the Asia Pacific region.We are looking for a Head of Government Affairs to be based in Singapore, to join our governmental affairs and public policy team representing the Company’s portfolio of brands.
You will support the Senior Director Government and Corporate Affairs APAC, based in Sydney, in engaging and ally-building with government and key stakeholders across South East and South Asia. Internally, you will interface directly with key business and functional stakeholders at the leadership level. You will periodically update and advise Expedia’s business teams on public policy implications on business strategy, and provide close support to the Legal, Tax and PR teams.
You should have a minimum of 8 years of experience in business, law, public policy or government relations with a bachelor’s degree or 6 years of relevant experience with a master’s degree. You are detail-oriented and commercially-driven. You possess excellent analytical and writing skills, and superior communications. Above all, you must be able to employ good judgment, flexibility, critical thinking and a practical approach. This role requires the ability to understand technical concepts in the fast-paced e-commerce and digital space.
The role covers the following responsibilities:
- Monitor, analyse, curate, and disseminate regulatory and legal intelligence on a regular basis to key business and senior leadership stakeholders
- Provide government relations, public policy and regulatory support to the company by interfacing various governmental departments, regulators, consumer advocacy groups and non-governmental organisations across APAC, but especially in ASEAN;
- Interface with various brand teams to align with business and commercial strategy;
- Interface with the legal team to determine the regulatory risk for each market;
- Interface with the tax team on various potential tax issues;
- Interface with relevant regulatory authorities to resolve issues involving consumer disputes;
- Interface with the business/brand teams and the public relations team for regulatory compliance issues and work with regulators to resolve potential compliance issues;
- Undertake a range of other activities to brand build the company and its portfolio with the regulators in the APAC region, working in conjunction with PR.
Who you are:
To be successful in this role, you must be (i) confident to connect with senior government officials; (ii) highly collaborative; (iii) comfortable working in a fast-paced operating environment; and (iv) able to employ good judgment, flexibility, critical thinking and a practical approach. Regular business travel (20-30%) and work across multiple time zones can be expected given the regional nature of the position and Expedia’s global operations.
- Minimum of eight years’ experience in business, law, public policy or government relations.
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently.
- Ability to speak and write additional Asian languages (desirable).
- Detail-oriented with strong administrative skills.
- Strong analytical and writing skills.
- Experience working with multi-national corporations, ideally online companies.
- Highly collaborative team player with flexibility, sense of humour and ability to employ good judgement, critical thinking and practical approach.
- Strong ally building and social skills, and skilled in building broad relationships and networks both within the company at the senior management level, and externally with stakeholders.
- Strong communicator with the ability to communicate technical concepts in an engaging and accessible manner.
- Strong commercial sense. Pragmatic and business-oriented.
About Expedia Group
Expedia Group (NASDAQ: EXPE) powers travel for everyone, everywhere through our global platform. Driven by the core belief that travel is a force for good, we help people experience the world in new ways and build lasting connections. We provide industry-leading technology solutions to fuel partner growth and success, while facilitating memorable experiences for travelers. Expedia Group's family of brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Vrbo®, trivago®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Hotwire®, Wotif®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, Expedia Local Expert®, CarRentals.com™, and Expedia Cruises™.
© 2021 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. CST: 2029030-50
Employment opportunities and job offers at Expedia Group will always come from Expedia Group’s Talent Acquisition and hiring teams. Never provide sensitive, personal information to someone unless you’re confident who the recipient is. Expedia Group does not extend job offers via email or any other messaging tools to individuals to whom we have not made prior contact. Our email domain is @expediagroup.com. The official website to find and apply for job openings at Expedia Group is careers.expediagroup.com/jobs.
Legal and Government Affairs
ID # R-79400
Job Accommodation Requests
At Expedia Group, we're committed to providing an inclusive and accessible recruiting experience for candidates with disabilities. If you require an accommodation or adjustment for any part of the application or hiring process, please let us know by completing our Accommodation Request form.