Data Engineer II
If you need assistance during the recruiting process due to a disability, please reach out to our Recruiting Accommodations Team through the Accommodation Request form. This form is used only by individuals with disabilities who require assistance or adjustments in applying and interviewing for a job. This form is not for inquiring about a position or the status of an application.
An established performer who consistently applies software an data engineering principles to business contexts, proactively identifies inefficiencies in existing systems, leads small, well-defined projects and supports complex projects.
2+ years for Bachelor's
0-2 years for Master's
• Worked in a data engineering team environment of at least 5 engineers (agile, version control, etc.).
• Built and maintained at least one data engineering pipeline/data product in production environments in public/hybrid cloud infrastructure.
• Bachelor's or Master's or equivalent experience. Technical degree preferred.
Functional/ Technical Skills
• Has strength in a programming language relevant to data (e.g. Java, Spark, Python), moderate familiarity in other applicable languages.
• Demonstrates actual successful hands-on experience designing and delivering projects using at least 1 data processing pattern (e.g. stream vs batch) and general familiarity of the others.
• Has familiarity with traditional RDBMS system vs. distributed systems and is aware of modern data access patterns.
• Understands how projects fit together within their team.
• Able to understands moderately complex systems.
• Tests and monitors their own code.
• Understands how to test and monitor tools.
• Debugs applications.
• Understands how teams goals fit a business need.
• Development/language skills (Java/Python/Scala)
• Testing, monitoring, alerting
• Business acumen/domain knowledge
• Data access patterns
• Streaming technology
• Data validation
• Collaborates with team members to co-develop and solve problems.
• Proactively reaches out to meet peers across environment and collaborate to solve problems.
• Takes advantage of opportunities to build new technical expertise in a specific engineering area.
• Seeks knowledge from subject matter experts when needed.
• Understands the importance of system and technology integration and the basic features and facilities involved in the integration process.
• Understand the importance of building and operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data sets.
• Develops and tests standard software applications and related programs and procedures to ensure they meet design requirements.
• Applies software design principles, data structures and/or design patterns and computer science fundamentals to write code that is clean, maintainable, optimized, modular with good naming conventions.
• Applies knowledge of database design to solve data requirements.
• Applies concepts of object oriented design, distributed computing, performance/scalability tuning, advanced data structures and algorithms to batch and real- time stream analytics and data processing.
• Helps coordinate stakeholder input and collaboration efforts when developing solutions to issues.
• Thinks broadly and understands how, why and when policies and processes are standardized and when they differ across the organization.
• Executes tasks and/or provides data to support implementation of holistic solutions that forge linkages between structure, people, process and technology.
• Applies formal training methods to current workload. Feels comfortable challenging authority/the status quo.
•Maintains awareness of advancements, innovations and changes in technologies (specifically relating to data engineering, cloud data platforms, data models, enterprise information management, business intelligence and data science).
• Reports clearly on current work status.
• Asks challenging questions when empowered to do so.
• Communicates verbally and/or written on technology and design considerations and choices within team.
About Expedia Group
Expedia Group (NASDAQ: EXPE) powers travel for everyone, everywhere through our global platform. Driven by the core belief that travel is a force for good, we help people experience the world in new ways and build lasting connections. We provide industry-leading technology solutions to fuel partner growth and success, while facilitating memorable experiences for travelers. Expedia Group's family of brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Vrbo®, trivago®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Hotwire®, Wotif®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, Expedia Local Expert®, CarRentals.com™, and Expedia Cruises™.
© 2021 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. CST: 2029030-50
Employment opportunities and job offers at Expedia Group will always come from Expedia Group’s Talent Acquisition and hiring teams. Never provide sensitive, personal information to someone unless you’re confident who the recipient is. Expedia Group does not extend job offers via email or any other messaging tools to individuals to whom we have not made prior contact. Our email domain is @expediagroup.com. The official website to find and apply for job openings at Expedia Group is careers.expediagroup.com/jobs.
United States - Washington - Seattle
ID # R-76180
Job Accommodation Requests
At Expedia Group, we're committed to providing an inclusive and accessible recruiting experience for candidates with disabilities. If you require an accommodation or adjustment for any part of the application or hiring process, please let us know by completing our Accommodation Request form.