Machine Learning Scientist II
If you need assistance during the recruiting process due to a disability, please reach out to our Recruiting Accommodations Team through the Accommodation Request form. This form is used only by individuals with disabilities who require assistance or adjustments in applying and interviewing for a job. This form is not for inquiring about a position or the status of an application.
The machine learning science team for fraud & risk builds and improves models that detect and prevent fraud & abuse across Expedia Group. Expedia Group and its travelers are constantly under attack by fraudsters, abusers. When these attacks succeed, it results in credit card fraud, disrupted travel plans, stolen loyalty points, and more. Our team’s work helps prevent hundreds of millions of fraud costs every year!
What you’ll do:
Machine Learning Engineering:
- You will extract data from multiple data sources and combine into the required datasets for model building or analytics.
- You will perform proper model performance evaluation with help.
- You will spend large amounts of time in feature engineering, less capable to adapt/modify existing models/techniques to suit business needs.
- You will assist in all activities, especially in proper model selection, regularization and evaluation to be able to develop robust solutions.
- You will business problems by applying common statistical methods.
- You can determine the ideal method for the problem considering underlying assumptions and understand limitations of selected methods.
- You will understand model design and can explain selection including general approach, choice of algorithm and data sources.
- You will engage with research community and can make recommendations and apply concepts to current projects.
- You will demonstrate understanding of the business domain and can recommend model changes constantly evolving information and requirements.
- You can select valid approaches, appropriate in terms of level of effort, favoring iterative delivery.
- You will consistently make use of data visualization principles and ensure the use charts, formatting and customizing, ensuring labelling, titling and other fundamentals are present and effective.
- You will consider the end user experience in your design.
Communication and presentation:
- You will articulate decision-making rationale, solutions, methodologies and frameworks to team members.
- You will anticipate and assist team members with creation of routine technical communication materials.
- You will influence action and results through writing clearly and accessibly for a wide audience by considering the audience’s needs and context when crafting solutions or presenting ideas. Anticipate questions and structure presentations in a clear narrative.
- You will proactively contribute to cross team collaboration ensuring best available information is included in analysis and share findings with peers and leaders.
Stakeholder and project management:
- You will frame challenging business problems as a data science problem and concrete set of tasks.
- You will manage the backlog well and deliver projects to maximize business impact in sync with wider timing of the business.
- You will exhibit knowledge of the organizations processes, objectives, and challenges and understands their impact on the business.
Who you are:
- Bachelor's, Master’s, PhD degree in a Technical field; or Equivalent related professional experience.
- Demonstrated familiarity with Python, Scala or R, or any other major ML programming language.
- Confirmed basic understanding of supervised and unsupervised machine learning theory.
- Demonstrated understanding of model design and ability to explain selection, including general approach, choice of algorithm and data sources.
- Demonstrates creativity when solving problems and overcoming roadblocks.
About Expedia Group
Expedia Group (NASDAQ: EXPE) powers travel for everyone, everywhere through our global platform. Driven by the core belief that travel is a force for good, we help people experience the world in new ways and build lasting connections. We provide industry-leading technology solutions to fuel partner growth and success, while facilitating memorable experiences for travelers. Expedia Group's family of brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Vrbo®, trivago®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Hotwire®, Wotif®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, Expedia Local Expert®, CarRentals.com™, and Expedia Cruises™.
© 2021 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. CST: 2029030-50
Employment opportunities and job offers at Expedia Group will always come from Expedia Group’s Talent Acquisition and hiring teams. Never provide sensitive, personal information to someone unless you’re confident who the recipient is. Expedia Group does not extend job offers via email or any other messaging tools to individuals to whom we have not made prior contact. Our email domain is @expediagroup.com. The official website to find and apply for job openings at Expedia Group is careers.expediagroup.com/jobs.
United States - Washington - Seattle
ID # R-75817
Job Accommodation Requests
At Expedia Group, we're committed to providing an inclusive and accessible recruiting experience for candidates with disabilities. If you require an accommodation or adjustment for any part of the application or hiring process, please let us know by completing our Accommodation Request form.