Software Development Engineer III (Backend)
If you need assistance during the recruiting process due to a disability, please reach out to our Recruiting Accommodations Team through the Accommodation Request form. This form is used only by individuals with disabilities who require assistance or adjustments in applying and interviewing for a job. This form is not for inquiring about a position or the status of an application.
The online travel market never stands still. The opportunity is huge and the competition is wild. At Expedia Group, we are in the thick of it. Our technology team is passionate about using the leading technology and processes to give our customers the best possible experience finding the products they need for their business or leisure needs. We want them to feel the same passion for travel that we do.
Do you share a passion for technology and travel? Are you looking to join a team at the forefront of travel technology development? If so, then this could be the opportunity you've been looking for!
Our Discovery Experience team are dedicated to buildinginspiring experiencesthat help our customersdiscoverthe wealth of travel products EG has to offer. We are looking for a Software Engineer that can help us deliver these engaging experiences for the modern-day traveler.
As a software development engineer III, you will act as a mentor to more junior engineers and apply new engineering principles to improve existing systems. You will be responsible for leading complex, well-defined projects.
What You’ll Do.
- Team up with peers across the organization to build an understanding of cross-dependencies and shared problem-solving.
- Be an active participant in a community of practice to share and gain knowledge.
Leadership and Mentoring
- Actively and continually work on developing your technical skills in Software Engineering.
- Share new skills and knowledge with your team to increase effectiveness.
Systems and Technological Integration
- Apply your knowledge of advanced systems and technological integration.
- Work with several forms of technology comfortably
- Understand the relationship between applications, databases and technology platforms.
Application Development /Programming
- Develop and test complex or non-routine software applications and related programs and procedures to ensure they meet design requirements.
- Write code that is clean, main table, optimized, and modular with good naming conventions.
- Lead/Clarify code evolution in code reviews.
- Coordinate different stakeholders with varied perspectives to develop solutions to issues and contributes their own suggestions.
- Identify opportunities around policies/ processes to increase efficiency across organizational boundaries.
- Assist with a whole system approach to analyzing issues by ensuring all components (structure, people, process and technology) are identified and accounted for.
- You can spot areas of inefficiency in code or systems operation and offer suggestions for improvements.
- Compile and generate reports on major operational or technical initiatives (like RCAs) to larger groups, whether via written or oral means.
Who You Are:
- Strong in a couple of the following languages and/or one language with multiple technology implementations: BE Technologies - Java / Kotlin
- Able to identify strengths and weaknesses among languages for particular use cases.
- Able to create APIs to be consumed across the BU using GraphQL
- Demonstrates the ability to select among technology available to implement and solve needs.
- Understanding how projects/teams interact with other teams.
- Able to understand and design moderately complex systems.
- Ability to test and monitor code at the project level.
- Understanding of testing and monitoring tools
- Ability to debug applications.
- Ability to test, debug, and fix issues within established SLAs.
- Able to design software that is easily testable and observable.
- Experience working in AWS and continuous delivery practices
About Expedia Group
Expedia Group (NASDAQ: EXPE) powers travel for everyone, everywhere through our global platform. Driven by the core belief that travel is a force for good, we help people experience the world in new ways and build lasting connections. We provide industry-leading technology solutions to fuel partner growth and success, while facilitating memorable experiences for travelers. Expedia Group's family of brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Vrbo®, trivago®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Hotwire®, Wotif®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, Expedia Local Expert®, CarRentals.com™, and Expedia Cruises™.
© 2021 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. CST: 2029030-50
Employment opportunities and job offers at Expedia Group will always come from Expedia Group’s Talent Acquisition and hiring teams. Never provide sensitive, personal information to someone unless you’re confident who the recipient is. Expedia Group does not extend job offers via email or any other messaging tools to individuals to whom we have not made prior contact. Our email domain is @expediagroup.com. The official website to find and apply for job openings at Expedia Group is careers.expediagroup.com/jobs.
United Kingdom - London
ID # R-82229
Job Accommodation Requests
At Expedia Group, we're committed to providing an inclusive and accessible recruiting experience for candidates with disabilities. If you require an accommodation or adjustment for any part of the application or hiring process, please let us know by completing our Accommodation Request form.